Monday 21 July 2014

Spinage a Trois - Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show

On Saturday night I was interviewed by Craig Charles for his Funk and Soul show on 6music. It is always on in our house on a Saturday evening if we happen to be in. With a young daughter and another baby on the way - we are certainly in a lot more than we used to be!

Charles is electric, a real livewire bursting with enthusiasm for the music and his listeners. The music is incredible - classics you'll know, rarities that you'll want to know and just quality. Track for track it has to be the best show on British airwaves.



I had emailed the show for their 'Spinage a Trois' section - where a listener gets to choose 3 songs, talk a little and they get played on the show. You can listen here (for a while). I'm on at 1 hour 11 minutes in.

The songs I chose were;


Looking For You - Garnett Mimms
I always come back to this song every so often. A heart has been broken and the guy just can’t get over it. Bass, beats, piano, strings and heart tugging vocals backed by gorgeous harmony, all combine in a glorious manner. The lyrics are so simple yet they say so much.

Each verse contains something a little different to highlight the pain and longing. Each verse is ended by the amazing ‘Baby I Need You'.




Just Loving You - Ruby Andrews
I discovered this song through my good friends Chris and Jillian. They asked me to dj at their wedding and asked for soul, 60’s beat,a little bit of funk and disco. Just quality tunes. They had complete trust in me and the only request they put in was for their first dance - I’d never heard of it and i have to admit I had tears in my eyes when I listened to it. I thought my wife and I had done well with Baby, I Love You by The Ronettes for our first dance but this is the best first dance song for a wedding I have been to. It was perfect for Chris and Jill - Chris is a real mod from the Highlands and Jillian is a sweet cool indie chick.

Just a beautiful song that says so much in a little over 2 and a half minutes.

Just loving you
I found that life has a brighter side
Since I found you
Oh how your love has turned the tide, yeah

Cause your love has been so good to me
You gave your heart so willingly
I love you, oh, I'll never leave you never, oh no no never,

You made me see
Just how wonderful love can really be
Til I met you
I never knew I had so much love in me, yeah

Yes you brought the best things out in me
The things I thought could never be
Ended all my misery, I'm satisfied
Just loving you

Sweet baby yeah
Sweet baby yeah




Don’t Leave Me This Way - Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes
It really doesn’t get much better than this for me. A lengthy intro, incredible musicianship throughout, heartfelt lyrics delivered with raw passion and soul and a HUGE uplifting chorus. I don’t DJ as much as i used to but this always go down a storm. The jamming at the end on the full version is just ridiculously good. So loose, soulful and funky


Don't leave me this way
I can't survive, I can't stay alive
Without you love, oh baby
Don't leave me this way
I can't exist, I will surely miss
Your tender kiss
So don't leave me this way

Oh baby, my heart is full of love and desire for you
So come on down and do what you've got to do
You started this fire down in my soul
Now can't you see it's burning, out of control
So come down and satisfy the need in me
Cos only your good loving can set me free

No comments: